CK Go Places Search Engine

Friday 31 August 2007

CK Goes to Italy – Naples (Napoli)

My main purpose of going to this stunning city by the sea at the southern region of Italy was to attend the 2nd fib Congress, an engineering conference discussing the matters on structural concrete. I stayed in Naples from 4th to 11th of June, 2006, using it as a base for me to explore the other splendid towns and an island called Capri in the southern region of Italy, apart from the more serious business.

I went to the Museo Archeologico Nazionale on the very first afternoon right after I've settled myself down at the hotel booked through the conference organiser. Why was I in such a hurry? Because this museum is considered as the most important archaeological museum in Europe.


This is part of a mosaic floor in Pompeii showing Alexander the Great in a battle with a Persian troop.


This is the Persian King that Alexander was battling at. I can't remember the name of the Persian King, you can watch the movie to find out, hehe!


The figures of the horses were very precisely laid-out in the mosaics.


There are a lot more artifacts to look at in this museum, but I can't show all to you. Oh,ya! Did I mention that the gal ticket attendance stopped me at the entrance, not because of the ticket matter, but just to tell me that I'm cute! Haha!


After visiting the museum, I've got some serious business to attend to, i.e., attending the 2nd fib Congress at the Mostra d'Oltremare convention centre.


Near the convention centre stands a very unique weather station.


There is also a fountain, Fontana di Esedra, at the Mostra d'Oltremare.


At night, Fontana di Esedra was turned into a show of water, light and music, specifically for the conference delegates to sooth the tiredness from a whole day discussion of engineering matters.


Yet, more show of the water, light and music.


On one evening, I strolled along the waterfront to feel the atmosphere at dusk. I had the chance to look at the beauty of Vesuvio (Mt. Vesuvius) then.


There is an arch along the shore.


Along the waterfront, there's this Castel dell'Ovo built on rocks by the Spanish.


A long driveway leads the way into Castel dell'Ovo.


On another sunny day, I went roaming around Naples and spotted this very interesting castle called Castel Nuovo.


The castle pieces in chess were probably modelled through this.


This is a building near Piazza del Plebiscito which houses a shopping gallery.


The shopping gallery, Galleria Umberto, is covered with glass roof to allow naturally-lit shopping splendor.


Right in front of Piazza del Plebiscito is this splendid church called Chiesa di San Francesco di Paolo.


I took a closer look at the church to appreciate the architecture of a domed structure.


At night, Piazza del Plebiscito will be lit by these neo-classical street lights.


When I walked further down the street from Piazza del Plebiscito, the statue of Neptune of the Fontana di Nettuno is guarding a small square.


The lion on Fontana di Nettuno was spitting at me.


I boarded a very crowded bus to go to Corso Umberto I, and that's when I got pick-pocketed. I was already very cautious that I pressed my wallet in my front pocket against my thigh, but the gypsy lady was still able to pull all the banknotes out without me knowing it! Their skills are really beyond our imagination.

OK, unpleasant experience aside, I continued on my journey along Via Duomo to visit this Cattedrale.


After that, I took another bus to Cavour station to follow the metro train to the Amedeo station just to take Funicolare di Chiaia (funicular train) up the hill.


There is spectacular view of Naples up the viewing point of the hills.


Old and new buildings are sprawling throughout this city by the Mediterranean Sea.


I zoomed in to an old building, before I took the funicular train again downhill.



If you would like to read my other posts on Italy, these are the links:

2 comments:

Ah Dom said...

Fantastic!!
Looks like I am the first to drop you a line. Happy Merdeka and Happy Birthday to your blog.

Dom

CK Ng said...

Thanks LPPL @ Dom. :) Happy belated Merdeka Day to you too.

Recent Posts

Powered by Blogger Widgets

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger Widgets