CK Go Places Search Engine

Sunday 30 September 2007

Top Ten Sights in Istanbul – No. 6: Topkapi Sarayi

Sultan Mehmet II started building the Topkapi Palace (Topkapi Sarayi) in 1459 after he conquered Constantinople (the former name of Istanbul). It was completed 6 years later. However, Sultan Abdül Mecit I abandoned Topkapi Palace in 1853 when the Dolmabahçe Palace was built.

The compound of the Palace is very big, with four enormous courtyards interconnected by the corridors of the palace buildings.


The armed guard at the entrance to the palace.


I took a picture of a local hawking his souvenirs and he started asking money from me. So, I pretended that I couldn't understand him and started speaking 'Japanese' to him, then he gave up and went away, haha! :D


The gateway to the palace is a Disneyland castle look-alike.


One of the entrances to the hall at the Divan.


The elaborately decorated ceiling of the Divan.


The arched walkway of the Iftariye Pavilion.


Colourful tiles at the Iftariye Pavilion.


I can still remember the scene of overseeing the Bosphorus form Topkapi Palace 10 years ago. The scene hasn't changed, but the emotion deep inside me is very different. I couldn't believe that I was at this place twice, and I felt proud of myself being there again.


Bosphorus through the arches at the Konyali Restaurant.


The arched walkway at Pavilion of the Holy Mantle.


The chimneys at the kitchens.


A China porcelain bowl being exhibited in the kitchens.


If you would like to read more of my travelogues on Istanbul, here are the links:-

No comments:

Recent Posts

Powered by Blogger Widgets

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger Widgets