CK Go Places Search Engine

Monday 7 January 2008

Santorini – Almost Heaven: The Volcano at Nea Kameni

At the centre of the caldera of Santorini is a small island called Nea Kameni, at which the epicenter of the largest volcanic eruption ever happened on earth is situated. This island is basically covered with the deposits from the volcanic eruption, hence a dusty place.

The only way to get to the island from the main Santorini island is to take a boat from the port of Fira. There were more luxurious yachts but I chose to take the traditional sailboat, and I was put on the Odysseas for my visit to Nea Kameni.


The Odysseas was approaching Fira port to pick me up.


The dusty hike up the crater.


I was already half way up. The jetty on Nea Kameni is at left.


I was almost there, but the tour guide was already up there.


I was finally up on the crater.


This is still an active volcano, so there may be an eruption anytime!


I could imagine how big the volcanic eruption was with that amount of deposits.


I went round and round along the rim of the crater.


The different colours of the deposits.


The only steam hole on the crater, but the steam was too mild to be seen in the picture.


If you would like to read more of my travelogues on Greece, here are the links:-


1. Athens – The Homeland of the Gods


2. The White Dream in Mykonos


3. Santorini – Almost Heaven


4. Miscellaneous

1 comment:

Le Butterfly said...

oooh the boat looks so romantic. Looks like a very interesting outing.

Recent Posts

Powered by Blogger Widgets

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger Widgets